"You need to get scared"
Hmmm.....I am sure the subject sounds wierd. Well, today I went to Waves, NOIDA. Waves is a shopping Mall in Noida. This is located next to the Radisson Hotel. I had never been to mall in the NCR region. It was just that I went to meet a friend in NOIDA and from there he said lets go to WAVES and I said fine, and my next question was - What will we do there. His reply - Lets watch a movie.
We had 3 choices - BASIC INSTINCT2, MISTRESS OF SPICES and DARNA MANA HAI. We decided on DARNA ZAROORI HAI (Literally translated into English, it means 'You Need to get scared' - thus the title).
I am a big fan of the horror genre. I love movies which can be scary but not gory. I hate movies like NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET but I had loved OMEN.
I had seen DARNA MANA HAI in 2003 which when literally translated meant You are not allowed to get scared. While that was not scary, I was expecting this movie to be. In DARNA MANA HAI there were six stories, and these six were directed by the same director. I remember coming home early from work one day as they were showing DARNA MANA HAI on TV (Zee TV/ Zee Cinema?) and not being fully satisfied. Something was missing.
The interesting thing about the movie was that it was supposed to have six stories directed by six different directors.
For any horror film to scare the living daylights out of the viewer, it ought to be embellished with blood curdling and spine chilling stories. That's the prime area where DARNA ZAROORI HAI falters.
The Film
Story 1
The film starts with a man (Manoj Pahwa) taking money from his mother (Sarita Joshi) and going to see DARNA MANA HAI. He is asked not walk across the graveyard. He agrees and one he steps out of the house, he does go through the graveyard challenging the spirits to show themselves. What happens next is interesting. Also this (according to me) is the best story in the movie. This story had been directed by funny man Sajid Khan.
After the story there is a loud song sequence where the latest item girl Nisha Kothari is dancing. I would say Sameera Reddy looked good in her dance in DARNA MANA HAI. Nisha fails.
After the song -
Five children have run away from a school picnic and are exploring the woods. They get caught in the rain and run into spooky house for shelter where they meet an old woman (she is a bengali actress who is commonly called the HIMALAYA Grandmother, as she appears frequently as a grandmother in most of the HIMALAYA advertisements) who agrees to tell the children stories and agrees to scare the children. A fearless boy (part of the group) agrees and the children all sit around and listen.
Story 2
Amitabh Bachhan is a professor. He takes tutions at home. Ritesh Deshmukh comes to his house for lessons. Amitabh complains of people in the house who only he can hear. What happens in the story did not make any sense and worse still, this specific story had been directed by Ram Gopal Verma himself.
Story 3
Arjun Rampal walks up a house and rings the bell. Bipasha Basu opens the door. Arjun wants to call the mechanic as his car has broken down. Bipasha tell Arjun, her husband (Makrand Deshpande) had died two years back. She goes out of the room and the husband comes in. Arjun is scared and worse, the man tells him his wife (Bipasha) had died two years ago. Who is dead? Who is alive? This story was interesting.
Story 4
Suniel Shetty and Sunil Kulkarni are resting at home when they are visited by an Insurance agent who says accidents can happen anytime, anywhere and so life should be insured. Not an interesting story.
Story 5
Anil Kapoor is a film director who is good at making family oriented films. His name in the movie is Karan Chopra (a specific pun at Karan Johar maybe). He now wants to make a horror film about a girl who is stranded on the road, who hitchhikes and then reveals that she is actually someone who is long dead and then kills the people she rides with. On his way to Khandala, Anil sees Mallika Sherawat on the road who asks for a lift upto Khandala. This was an interesting story with a very different Mallika in it.
Story 6
Randeep Hooda is travelling to Pune. He is drinking and telling someone over his mobile phone(his wife/ girlfriend) that he is not drinking. It is raining and while he is on the phone he sees a woman on the road and avoids her and nearly had an accident. He gets down from his car and confronts the woman. He is shocked by what he sees. He next finds himself in a jail where an inspector is nailing him for the murder of a man. This story had all the elements of a typical ghost story.
By the way, who played the mystery woman? Was it Isha Koppikar? Her face is shown for a minute only at the end of the story. I had read somewhere that Isha was to do a role in the movie.
This is not the end.
There is a 7th story also - about the grandmother and the 5 children. A weak story, when the story ends, it leaves no impression on anyone.
My Views
I was not impressed. Everyone acted well, somepeople over acted (Rajpal Yadav) and others were good. Anil Kapoor impressed a lot in his role of the film director. But just good acting is not enough. Good story and good direction is needed. This movie lacked the BOO factor/ the shock factor.
On the whole, DARNA ZAROORI HAI lacks the power to scare, frighten, terrify and petrify. In fact, it's as ineffectual as its predecessor DARNA MANA HAI. At the box-office, a major disappointment!
Well, I liked it as a film, not a horror film. My friend was scared, maybe it served its purpose.
BTW, I just remembered- the Himalaya grandmother, the actor's name is Ava Mukherjee. (Shouldnt it be actress as in the actress's name??).
What else did I do? Well, I bought a Sidney Sheldon and Dan Brown - DaVinci Code. Need to catch up on reading. The last book I read was Jeffery Archer's new book on VanGogh (I am bad at names).
We had 3 choices - BASIC INSTINCT2, MISTRESS OF SPICES and DARNA MANA HAI. We decided on DARNA ZAROORI HAI (Literally translated into English, it means 'You Need to get scared' - thus the title).
I am a big fan of the horror genre. I love movies which can be scary but not gory. I hate movies like NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET but I had loved OMEN.
I had seen DARNA MANA HAI in 2003 which when literally translated meant You are not allowed to get scared. While that was not scary, I was expecting this movie to be. In DARNA MANA HAI there were six stories, and these six were directed by the same director. I remember coming home early from work one day as they were showing DARNA MANA HAI on TV (Zee TV/ Zee Cinema?) and not being fully satisfied. Something was missing.
The interesting thing about the movie was that it was supposed to have six stories directed by six different directors.
For any horror film to scare the living daylights out of the viewer, it ought to be embellished with blood curdling and spine chilling stories. That's the prime area where DARNA ZAROORI HAI falters.
The Film
Story 1
The film starts with a man (Manoj Pahwa) taking money from his mother (Sarita Joshi) and going to see DARNA MANA HAI. He is asked not walk across the graveyard. He agrees and one he steps out of the house, he does go through the graveyard challenging the spirits to show themselves. What happens next is interesting. Also this (according to me) is the best story in the movie. This story had been directed by funny man Sajid Khan.
After the story there is a loud song sequence where the latest item girl Nisha Kothari is dancing. I would say Sameera Reddy looked good in her dance in DARNA MANA HAI. Nisha fails.
After the song -
Five children have run away from a school picnic and are exploring the woods. They get caught in the rain and run into spooky house for shelter where they meet an old woman (she is a bengali actress who is commonly called the HIMALAYA Grandmother, as she appears frequently as a grandmother in most of the HIMALAYA advertisements) who agrees to tell the children stories and agrees to scare the children. A fearless boy (part of the group) agrees and the children all sit around and listen.
Story 2
Amitabh Bachhan is a professor. He takes tutions at home. Ritesh Deshmukh comes to his house for lessons. Amitabh complains of people in the house who only he can hear. What happens in the story did not make any sense and worse still, this specific story had been directed by Ram Gopal Verma himself.
Story 3
Arjun Rampal walks up a house and rings the bell. Bipasha Basu opens the door. Arjun wants to call the mechanic as his car has broken down. Bipasha tell Arjun, her husband (Makrand Deshpande) had died two years back. She goes out of the room and the husband comes in. Arjun is scared and worse, the man tells him his wife (Bipasha) had died two years ago. Who is dead? Who is alive? This story was interesting.
Story 4
Suniel Shetty and Sunil Kulkarni are resting at home when they are visited by an Insurance agent who says accidents can happen anytime, anywhere and so life should be insured. Not an interesting story.
Story 5
Anil Kapoor is a film director who is good at making family oriented films. His name in the movie is Karan Chopra (a specific pun at Karan Johar maybe). He now wants to make a horror film about a girl who is stranded on the road, who hitchhikes and then reveals that she is actually someone who is long dead and then kills the people she rides with. On his way to Khandala, Anil sees Mallika Sherawat on the road who asks for a lift upto Khandala. This was an interesting story with a very different Mallika in it.
Story 6
Randeep Hooda is travelling to Pune. He is drinking and telling someone over his mobile phone(his wife/ girlfriend) that he is not drinking. It is raining and while he is on the phone he sees a woman on the road and avoids her and nearly had an accident. He gets down from his car and confronts the woman. He is shocked by what he sees. He next finds himself in a jail where an inspector is nailing him for the murder of a man. This story had all the elements of a typical ghost story.
By the way, who played the mystery woman? Was it Isha Koppikar? Her face is shown for a minute only at the end of the story. I had read somewhere that Isha was to do a role in the movie.
This is not the end.
There is a 7th story also - about the grandmother and the 5 children. A weak story, when the story ends, it leaves no impression on anyone.
My Views
I was not impressed. Everyone acted well, somepeople over acted (Rajpal Yadav) and others were good. Anil Kapoor impressed a lot in his role of the film director. But just good acting is not enough. Good story and good direction is needed. This movie lacked the BOO factor/ the shock factor.
On the whole, DARNA ZAROORI HAI lacks the power to scare, frighten, terrify and petrify. In fact, it's as ineffectual as its predecessor DARNA MANA HAI. At the box-office, a major disappointment!
Well, I liked it as a film, not a horror film. My friend was scared, maybe it served its purpose.
BTW, I just remembered- the Himalaya grandmother, the actor's name is Ava Mukherjee. (Shouldnt it be actress as in the actress's name??).
What else did I do? Well, I bought a Sidney Sheldon and Dan Brown - DaVinci Code. Need to catch up on reading. The last book I read was Jeffery Archer's new book on VanGogh (I am bad at names).

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home